Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fall outfits 2013: Fifty shades of grey

The very last outfit of the series is rather a professional one. Not everyone is so happy or confident in the fall colors or just colors in general. That`s why I thought I should put a more neutral outfit together.


In order to keep this look simple and professional, I strictly chose only shades of grey for it. As you can see, I paired a gray coat with a bit lighter gray tights and I added a black scarf on top.

Tip: When throwing an outfit of shades of the same color together, make sure to use different shades (makes the outfit more interesting and not quite so plain and boring); unless you`re putting a shirt and a skirt together and you want it to look like a dress. While using different shades, they need to match together. It is easy to do it with grey but if

you were to try it with let`s say red, be sure to have all pieces in the same color family. If you put orangish red and then rather purplish red it is not going to work.


Here I am wearing a pair of neutral black heels with a moderate height. It gives me those few extra inches I can definitely use since I`m only 5 foot 4 (160cm) without hurting my feet.

Tip: Party heels – up to you. Work heels: never higher than 3 inches (7,6 cm), ideally around 2 inches (5cm). Not only does it allow you to be able to walk on them all day without being in pain, it is even required at some places and higher heels are viewed as slutty and inappropriate for a workplace. As much as I love high heels, I strongly recommend obeying this rule and it applies for job interviews also.

I often change the belts on my coats but I decided to leave this one just so the overall look is softer and less defined.

Tip: Whenever you think you need more definition in winter coats and let`s face it – they generally don`t give you much definition at all, change or add a belt. This shows your waist and turns the coat into a more A-shaped one. If you prefer to have a more straight figure in your coat, either use the belt your coat is provided with (usually these are textile and don`t hold much, they`re just there) or don`t use any.


My scarf is layered, black on top of a white base, which makes it look softer which compliments my face. Being so pale, I need to watch what I put right next to my face and black has always been a no, unless there`s a trick to it – like this one.


Hope you find this helpful.
Much love and style!
Kris&Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll be happy to know what you think!