Sunday, November 3, 2013

Fall outfits 2013: Oversized sweaters

There is something absolutely adorable about wearing a big sweater. Recently this trend moved from home to the streets. The question is – how to style a big sweater?


You can either go really simple and I have Susan to demonstrate that. She is wearing a really big handmade sweater that is like 20 years old and she just happened to find it in her mom`s closet (don`t you love those things though?). 


She is only paired this with tights (and shorts made out of tights on top of those tights – we don`t want our underwear to show) and brown simple shoes. A nice touch, especially in this case, are those woolen socks that bring the outfit together by having a similar structure as the sweater.

Tip: Structures work the same way as colors. If you want the outfit to look more complete and complex, use the same structure on more than one piece, definitely not next to each other though! (scarf+ tights, sweater + socks, hat + scarf, hat + sweater; never do scarf + sweater or so - it will look like a really weird one piece and it will not compliment each other)



I on the other hand wanted to take the focus off of the sweater since I have more curvy body shape and it would not look quite as flattering as it does on Susan to wear it plain. 


That`s why I`m wearing printed leggings (over grey tights this time) and a big scarf. This brings attention to the pattern on the leggings and the top of the outfit rather than the silhouette, which, with my bigger than I want boobs, would not look quite as good. And as you can see I`m a big fan of the woolen socks as well.


Tip: Whenever you want to take focus off of something make sure to accentuate the parts you like about yourself. Because the sweater doesn`t show that I am actually slim, since it just hangs down off of my chest, I chose put focus on my face with the scarf and on my legs with the floral leggings. That way I can wear and style pieces that would essentially be the very opposite of what I should wear with success. Don`t give up the things that you like just because "it was not meant for your body type" - style them right! If you don`t like your legs, go ahead and wear black tights and put a belt around your waist or a statement jacket or a big broach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll be happy to know what you think!